"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

8.26.2006

friday night lights

Since I was in town a few days earlier than planned, it worked out that I could go to the Franklin game with Daddy! It has been forever since I've been around for a Rebels home game. Things have changed! The scoreboard is a lot nicer, the scary old concrete stands on the visitors' side have been replaced, the team has better uniforms and matching shoes, the band uniforms are better, etc, etc. Another thing that is very different is that the Rebs are ranked #4 in the mid-state. Who'd've thought? Right Emily?

The game was okay. They played Murfreesboro-Oakland, which is definitely not the powerhouse it used to be. They do, however, have a running back named Precious Valentine, so that made for some fun calls, both from the booth and from the stands ("Nobody wants to tackle Precious.") But Franklin more or less ran right over Oakland, 38-13. That score does not reflect how sloppy the offense was - tons of mistakes and turnovers. The defense is solid, but I'm not sure they'll be good enough to hold off Ravenwood next week.

All in all, it was a fun evening. I got to hang out with my daddy, see some old friends, and watch a game in a stadium with one of the prettiest views I know. Go Rebs!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sister said...

Is it just me or does the guy in the lower left of that last picture look just like Mikhail Gorbachev?

Saturday, August 26, 2006 6:28:00 PM

 
Blogger Emily said...

Ah, the mighty Frebels. If you'd told me back in the day that they'd be ranked that highly, I would have laughed in your face. Things change, I guess!

I haven't been to a game in a long time - probably not since my bro was in school, and that's been YEARS ago...

Saturday, August 26, 2006 8:30:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

No kidding! But they still have the same awful band shirts. And there are still people flying the rebel flag at the tailgate. Oh, wait. There never was a tailgate back in the day, either!

Sister, dear, what are you, a red? :P

Saturday, August 26, 2006 10:33:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home