"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

6.28.2006

two for the show

LULAC wins. Kindof. At least Laredo will get a representative for their district. In Austin, we're still stuck with the pizza-pie division that puts me in a district that reaches the Valley, and my best friend in a district that goes to Houston. And apparently Craddick is still free to redraw the map lines whenever DeLay says. (Gag, could another special be headed our way? Surely they'll wait until after failing to re-redistrict in the regular session...)

What I find really interesting about this case is who sided with the majority. You won't see Roberts, Alito, and Ginsberg on the same side of a case very often.

And the flag amendment failed, so we can put that issue to rest along with gay marriage until the next midterm election year. It's almost like I'm getting cynical.

And a salute to the Eisenhower interstate system, which turns 50 today. Haven driven about 2500 miles of it in the last 2 weeks, I am grateful for the fast lane. I also think that trucks should not be allowed to drive in construction zones in daylight hours.

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

The flag amendment failed by ONE vote! Scary, scary...and you're right, it's such a grand-standing for midterm elections issue, in the face of what's going on in the world. Do I agree with flag-burning? No, I wouldn't do it, and I think it's disrepectful - but people have DIED to protect our freedom of speech - flag-burning's one of many forms of it - I am so glad this thing did not pass.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 2:03:00 PM

 
Blogger UPennBen said...

I can't understand why the Texas map is more screwed up than the Louisiana map. When it comes to messed up politics and corruption, everything is not bigger in Texas---it shouldn't even stand in Louisiana's shadow. However, the Louisiana map makes sense. New Orleans is split into two districts--pretty much the city in one and the suburbs in the other--and the rest of the state is geographically aligned. Square boxes, that's what I want. Let the voters choose their representatives, not the other way around. Computers should be outlawed from mapmaking.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 2:15:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home