run devil run
Tourney time! Of all the things I'm missing this week, getting to watch the first two rounds of the tournament while recovering from being out 'til 3 at SXSW the night before is right up there. The big question, though, is whether a bracket filled out in the eastern Congo will do better or worse than the one from two years ago that Skip and I filled out in an internet cafe in Tokyo late one night. The key, as the doctor long maintained, is to separate your emotions from your bracket decisions. It doesn't matter if you want to see Utah State make a Cinderella run to the Elite Eight; rationality suggests that that isn't going to happen. Ever.
That said, here are some of my key predictions:
- Texas will lose in the Sweet Sixteen to West Virginia. Oh, come on. They were ranked too high from the get-go.
- The Aggies will surprise Syracuse, but won't be able to hold off LSU. LSU will not surprise Duke and anyone who tells you they will is a victim of wishful thinking.
- The Oakland region will have the most surprises. I think Indiana will be one of them.
- Arizona over Villanova. You have to pick one 8 or 9 seed to take down a top seed, and that's mine.
- Final Four? Duke, Connecticut, Memphis, and Boston College, with Memphis taking out Duke to meet UConn in the finals. Memphis has been on fire from the beginning, but they're not good enough to beat UConn.
So there it is, all a matter of public record. Send me your gloating emails as soon as results start coming in.