"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

3.23.2006

Oh. Happy. Day.

When shopping in the few grocery stores in Goma that cater to Westerners, you have to adopt a sort of Soviet mentality. Just because something is there this week doesn't mean that it will be there ever again, so you'd better stock up just in case. So, Saturday while searching through Trameco in vain for a jar of peanut butter when I came across several jars of SALSA, of course I bought two. They cost $4 apiece, but who cares? The fact that salsa should not be 1) manufactured by Pringles, 2) in Belgium? So what? It's been 58 days since I left Austin, there's no chili powder within 3,000 miles of Goma, and I don't care.

5 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

58 days without salsa? desperate times call for desperate measures....

Thursday, March 23, 2006 1:51:00 PM

 
Blogger Emily said...

I don't think I could make it without peanut butter. But I somehow made it through my time in Mexico without Dr. Pepper, so maybe I'm stronger than I think ;)

Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:12:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

You just HAD to mention Dr. Pepper!!

Friday, March 24, 2006 4:16:00 AM

 
Blogger Emily said...

I'm quite evil that way ;)

Friday, March 24, 2006 12:03:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

Grrrr! I'm counting the days until my trip to Nairobi, where they have Dr. Pepper AND quesadillas. Just five weeks to go!

Saturday, March 25, 2006 6:22:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home