"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

3.23.2006

if learning is living

Well, I finally learned why there are soldiers all over the place at my apartment. Seems the Minister of Education is in town for a seminar, staying at the hotel, and, apparently, unfortunately, thoroughly enjoyed watching my tennis lesson yesterday. (Have I mentioned that I'm taking tennis lessons? Right. I'm taking tennis lessons from a guy named Salama. Entirely in French and Swahili - it's a hoot.) Now. All I have to say about that is that if you're the Minister of Education of a country the size of western Europe with as many problems as this one has, and the most entertaining thing you can find to do during your coffee break is watch me play tennis for an hour on Wednesday afternoon, you're very much in need of something better to do.

3 Comments:

Blogger UPennBen said...

Did you "accidentally" hit a ball over by him and have a conversation?

Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:53:00 PM

 
Blogger texasinafrica said...

No! I'm trying to avoid becoming anyone's third wife. Or being deported...

Friday, March 24, 2006 4:18:00 AM

 
Blogger UPennBen said...

Hmm, good call.

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:04:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home