"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

3.04.2006

good-night old broke-down cars

One thing I forgot to mention the other day is the best purchase I made in Kigali - a new pillow. Much as I love the Karibu, and as comfortable as my apartment is, the pillows on my bed are made of really, really solid foam and have the approximate texture of rocks. Except that's not really fair to some rocks on which I've had a very pleasant nap. Plus one of them is covered in Hello Kitty fabric, which freaks me out. Anyway, I was so excited at T2000 when I saw an actual, soft pillow imported from Japan. It turned out to be two pillows, but I am in so much less pain that I really don't care. Yay!

On top of that, today we figured out how to hook my laptop into the network at my preferred internet cafe in Goma, meaning that, among other things, I don't have to remember all my passwords anymore, AND - iTunes! Hopefully. We'll see if it works. I'm trying to decide what to attempt to download first.

In other news, I went to the market to buy fabric this morning. My friend Aime is taking me to her couturier (the actual word for seamstresses here. Amie looked at me blankly and said, "You don't have couture in the U.S.?" Me: "Not exactly.") to have them sewn into something.

I also found the most gorgeous turquoise and brown fabric this morning, but it was $40 for six yards. Aime says that's correct, because it's from Ghana and the fabric from there is of top quality. I'll have to think about it, but it's really lovely and I would actually wear it at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home