"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

2.07.2006

there are stars in the southern sky

One of the things I failed to mention about yesterday's wacky journey through the hinterland was that at some point we crossed the Equator. There wasn't a sign like in Kenya, but according to the map, we did. Ex-officemate Matt, I can't beileve I'm putting this on my blog, but, well, Bart Simpson was right. Or maybe it was Lisa. At any rate, the toilets do flush the other direction.

I was going to post a picture of the scary birds in Uganda here, but you'll have to use your imagination because the connection is not working on the camera today. Trust me when I say that you did not want to be parked under that tree.

And my famous-historian professor who is not one of my favorite people got in some trouble in New Haven this weekend. Yikes.

In other news, I might be on the road to being a real academic. In the past few weeks, I've been asked to 1) review a book on the DRC for publication, 2) submit a paper to a DRC-specific conference, and 3) consult on a film about the DRC. My film career was sadly short-lived since the filmmaker (the girl who did that soup thing that the Chronicle is always mentioning) is going to do something on slavery in west Africa instead. But still. It's pretty cool that people think you have something to contribute. Now if only that were true...

I am being eaten alive by mosquitos, so I'll write about visiting the genocide memorial tomorrow. Suffice it to say it was a downer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home