"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

2.24.2006

somebody else one time said it better i think dylan, but it may have been young

Not much going on here. I wrote up a nice blog entry, but my iPod is refusing to be a flash drive this week, so that will have to wait. In its place, a few odds and ends:

Thanks to Kirstin and my daddy for both pointing out this NPR story on Congo from last week. The area they're talking about is considerably south of here, but the story gives a really good idea of how bad it is for millions of Congolese. There's another good story on southeastern Congo here.

There are so many beautiful flowers chez moi. I love bougainvillea and it is blooming all over the place, along with the last of the jacarandas and lots of other things I can't identify. Yesterday I went for a walk and the yellow flower in the picture above was in the path. For a minute I thought I was in Hawaii. But no.

Another thing that's interesting is all the birds. I don't know a lot about birds, but I've had a field guide on my wishlist for awhile and I keep talking myself out of buying it before every trip to Africa. But now I'm really wishing I had one, because of this guy. He's always on my lawn, making a really loud sound, or he'll jump out from behind a bush and scare me half to death. In the Ex-Roommate and my's grand tradition, I am, of course, calling him Steve. If anyone knows what Steve is, or where I might figure that out, I'd be eternally grateful. I realize it's not a great shot, but you should be able to zoom in if you're on a better computer than I am.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ray said...

what about snakes? any mambas or boomslangs around?! ;-)

Friday, February 24, 2006 7:45:00 AM

 
Blogger Ray said...

Leaving the snakes out of the picture, I forgot to mention that you look very cute with that hawaiin-look-alike-flower in your hair. :-)

Friday, February 24, 2006 7:47:00 AM

 
Anonymous Kathryn said...

Ask Sam (of Sam and Melody in Kenya) He knows every bird there is, I think.

Friday, February 24, 2006 2:54:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home