"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

1.26.2006

comfort for my shaken soul

Wow, am I tired. Defending, packing, and getting ready to leave in the course of 3 days is too much. I'm lucky to have some wonderful friends who let me stay in their guest room when my bed is in storage; they're the same people whose kids I stay with on occasion.

So last night I was sneaking into their house really late after packing until all hours. I tiptoed into the guest room and see that the kids have left me a gift: a mounted head of an eight-point buck, and a note that read: "We're so glad you BUCKed the system at UT, but we'll miss you DEERly." And then it started to sing "Suspicious Minds." Loudly.

You can see why we're friends. I laughed so hard that I had to go outside to keep from waking the kids up. There's no off switch. After finally figuring out how to turn down the volume on the thing, Buck (that's his name) had to go in the closet. He was staring at me and I couldn't sleep. So this morning, I come back into the room after taking a shower, and Buck is back on my bed. He starts singing when I go over there, but this time the volume was off, so it was silent. And ultra-creepy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home