"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

12.14.2005

hip trip

Thanks, Paul, for pointing out something else to worry about. Crazed Zimbabwean crocs got me thinking about other possibilities for disaster/things that might be unpleasant, like:

  1. Hippos. They're more deadly than lions, and you're way more likely to run into one while spending a day at the lake. Which I will be doing a lot since there's nothing else to do in Bukavu.
  2. Accidentally being legally bound to marry someone since Josh decided to have some fun last summer by negotiating my dowry with a couple of taxi drivers. Apparently my "brother" had the authority to do that on behalf of the family. (And, for those who were wondering, my market value is 15 head of cattle and 40 goats, with the suitor having the responsibility to transfer the livestock to my daddy.)
  3. Earthquakes.
  4. Not getting to go along with the UN to disarm some rebels.
  5. Nothing but six months of ESPN International's extensive coverage of motocross racing and cricket.
  6. Running into the Mai Mai, a gang of teenage boys who worship water and go into battle wearing faucets around their necks. (I'm not kidding. They have a lovely website. Does that general look older than 18 to you?)

Other thoughts on this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home