"Africa is, indeed, coming into fashion." - Horace Walpole (1774)

12.30.2005

all nature sings

You know, I was going to mock this new "outdoor Bible," but then I got to thinking about the time I paddled the Santa Elena canyon at Big Bend with some teenagers from church. It was an amazing trip, except on the last day, the kid I was with turned over our canoe (Okay, so there's some dispute as to whose fault this was. But it's my blog, therefore it was his fault.) and the seal on my so-called waterproof bag wasn't sealed and all my stuff, including my travel-sized Bible, got soaked by some icky Rio Grande water. It was so gross I had to throw it away (and there was a report two weeks later about the release of nuclear waste into the river by Los Alamos something like thirty years before - ooh, a radioactive Bible!), and I felt so guilty about tossing it. So maybe this isn't such a bad idea, really. But 12.8 ounces is waaaayyy to heavy to take for six months in the Congo.

What am I saying? The NASB on trail maps? This is a terrible idea. Going to visit Santa Elena canyon and the Big Bend, however, is a terrific idea. It's one of the most beautiful places in the world and is very empty most of the time because Big Bend is the least-visited national park.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home